Limited Edition Union Jack Crock Pot® (Slow Cooker) Review
If you are a regular reader of my blog or follow me on various social media sites you know I am a BIG lover of slow cookers.In fact I have had two, one for main meals and one for puddings.I have considered for sometime about getting a third.Yes a third slow cooker, so when I was approached to review a limited edition Union Jack Crock Pot® I didn’t hesitate to say yes.
Crock Pot® are the original company to start producing electric slow cookers back in 1971.In last few years slow cookers have made a huge revival and if you don’t have one yourself, you certainly know someone who does.
There are many advantages to using a slow cooker for slow cooking.
- Food can be prepared the night before and then placed in the slow cooker in the morning.
- Very little space is needed.
- They can be left unattended, safely for many hours, to cook gently so food won’t burn, boil or dry up in a slow cooker.
- Most slow cookers have at least two settings HIGH: to cook for a mid-day meal or shorter periods or LOW; to cook all day or overnight.
- They make delicious soups and stews, where the meat becomes tender but this isn’t limited as the gentle cooking means fish, delicate fruit and vegetables remain whole even after long cooking periods.By using a bain marie you can also cook a variety of puddings.
- It’s more economical using the same power as a light bulb that is left on over night.This equates to a 50% saving compared to a conventional oven.
- It cooks from the outside keeping your keeping your kitchen cool.
Why you need a slow cooker
Parents out at work
You can prepare a meal in the morning and return home knowing there is a healthy meal waiting for you and your family on your return.Even if you are delayed in traffic or at a meeting it is unlikely that your meal will be spoiled if left for a couple extra hours.
If who live in a shared house or a bed sit you can eat a cheap, economical and healthy meal where the cost can be shared amongst your fellow house mates.
Parents at home
If you want to have a home cooked meal for your family whilst you are busy doing housework, shopping or out for a day, you can be rest assured that your day is freed up by having food cooked when you want it.
If you like to cook meals but have limited funds you can use more cheap cuts of meat and eat at a time that suites you.
Having used the Crock Pot for two weeks cooking a soup, main meals and puddings I can recommend it to cook a variety of meals whether you’re cooking for yourself or a family.I loved the look of the Union Jack flag and the white pot has been so easy to clean even when it seemed it would be impossible to remove dried on food.It’s important to remember to leave the pot to cool completely before immersing in hot water to avoid cracks and I didn’t need any wire scorers pads, just a few minutes of soaking did the trick.The Union Jack limited edition Crock Pot® also comes with a WARM setting so you can leave your meal to simmer if for example, you have someone coming to eat after you have eaten or you have made something like a hot punch or mulled wine.
There are many recipes on my blog under the SLOW COOKER menu, mostly vegetarian meals along with puddings and cakes.
Disclaimer: I was sent a limited edition Union Jack Crock Pot® in exchange for a honest review.
The Limited Edition Union Jack Crock Pot retails at £29.99