Ginger Polenta Cake (Gluten And Lactose Free)
I know it’s only just coming to the end of August so it’s a bit premature to start thinking of Autumn quite yet. But I found this recipe in a Autumn cooking by Good House Keeping in a charity shop last week.It has some lovely recipes that I’ll be trying over the coming weeks.I’ve made this gluten free by replacing the white plain flour with gluten free flour, the oatmeal ( I didn’t have any of) with polenta and the milk with soya milk to make it lactose free.
225g (8oz) white gluten free plain flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground allspice
125g black treacle
150g golden syrup
175g soya margarine (or any dairy free margarine)
50g soft dark sugar
150ml unsweetened soya milk
2 eggs, beaten
125g stem ginger, drained and finely chopped
1 piece of stem ginger for decoration, finely chopped
4 tbsp of stem ginger syrup
1. Grease and line a square cake tin.Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) for about 1 hour.
2. In a bowl sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and allspice.Add the polenta.
3. Put the treacle, syrup, margarine, sugar and soya milk in a saucepan.Gently heat until it has all melted.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix.Add the beaten eggs, stem ginger and treacle mixture.Beat thoroughly until smooth.Pour into the prepared tin.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.Prick the cake several times and spoon.Prick with skewer and pour over the syrup and sprinkle the chopped stem ginger on the top.
Enjoy this gluten and lactose free ginger polenta cake with a nice cup of Earl Grey tea.