It’s now August and with Lughnasadh celebrated this week our fruit and veg box has started to look a bit more Autumnal.I’m not ready to give up on the British weather yet if last year is anything to go by.This week’s Viva Veg! recipe is Romanesque cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake which is definitely on my top of comfort food list.This version has other ingredients as well as the usual vegetables and cheese sauce.
2 Medium Romanesque cauliflowers, washed and cut into florets
1 Small broccoli, washed and cut into florets
3 Spring onions, trimmed, washed and sliced
2 Large tomatoes, diced
200g Frozen sweetcorn
40g soya margarine
40g plain flour
1 pint of milk
1 tsp Mustard powder
75g Red Leicester Cheddar
1. Cook the cauliflower and broccoli florets in a large pan (boil a kettle first to save on waiting for the cold water to boil).You should aim to cook them so they still have some bite, around 4 minutes should do it.Drain the cauliflower and broccoli and set aside.Keep the water to the cook the sweetcorn in and set aside.
2. To make the sauce, place all the ingredients except the cheese into a small saucepan.On a gently heat whisk until it starts to simmer.When you have a sauce that has a glossy appearance, continue to whisk for 5 more minutes.Add the cheese and whisk until melted.Take off the heat and season.
3. Preheat the oven to 200c.To assemble, place the florets into a large oven ware dish, sprinkle with the chopped tomato, spring onion and sweetcorn.
4. Ladle over the cheese sauce, shaking the pot to make sure you gets into all the crevices.Ensure all the florets on top are covered to avoid burning.Wipe off around the edges any cheese sauce so it makes washing the pot easier.
5. Place the bake into the preheated oven and cooked for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with crusty bread and a fresh green salad.
PLUS 2.4 is mentioned in August’s Brit Mum’s Foodie Round up
Linking up to Scottish Mum’s August Funky Foodies