Spiced Blueberry And Peach Jam
For the last couple of weeks I’ve got back into chutney and jam making again now that fruits are more cheaper and readily available .But I’ve decided to experiment a little this year and thought I would try different combinations of fruits and spices.I asked on Twitter and Facebook the other morning what are/would be people’s favourite jam.I got lots of answers as it seems you love your jam.One of the first combinations I tried was spiced blueberry and peach jam.I have to say I am more of a nectarine fan but peaches are very summery and refreshing, blueberries add a little tang to the jam and added with the spices this turned out to be a very nice jam.
You will need:
8 fresh peaches, peeled and destoned
250g/ 1 punnet of fresh blueberries washed and checked for stones
Water, enough to cover the fruit
450g of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp of whole cloves
8 cardamom pods, split
1 packet of pectin
1. Place the peaches in a preserving pan or large pan.Mah with a potato masher.Add the blueberries and water.
2. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add sugar and salt and pectin,
4. Place the spices into a piece of muslin cloth and tie up.Make sure the string is long enough to hang in the pan and over the sides.
5. Bring to boil slowly, stirring until sugar dissolves.
6.Place about 4 small clean jars in the oven on low.
7. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes, or until fruit is clear.
8.Remove spice bag and ladle into the hot sterilised jars.Seal with a wax lid.
9. Leave to cool before secure a cellophane disc with an elastic band.