Pumpkins have become synonymous with Autumn and Halloween decorations but this year I decided to cook with it for a change.This is a simple roasted pumpkin and carrot soup that only has 5 ingredients with no gluten or meat.The vegetables can be changed to make variations, spices or herbs added to the pumpkin and carrots whilst roasting.This soup is very thick, so I thinned it out quite a bit which yielded enough soup for two more servings for all of us.
Roasted Pumpkin And Carrot Soup
1 small eating pumpkin, quartered and seeds removed
3 large carrots, scrubbed and cut into largish cubes
1/2 bulb of garlic
Drizzle of olive oil
Approx 2 pints of hot water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.Take a roasting tray and place the chopped pumpkin and carrot in a single layer.Break apart a bulb of garlic and place 1/2 of it onto the tray.Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of olive oil all over the vegetables and garlic.
2. Roast on the top shelf for about an hour or until the vegetables are soft.Keep an eye on the garlic as you don’t want this to burn.
3. Leave to cool for 1/2 an hour so the vegetables can be handled. Remove the skin from the garlic by squishing each clove between your fingers.Use your fingers and thumb to remove the root end and place them in a liquidiser or food processor along with the carrots and 1/2 pint of hot water and pulse for two minutes.
4. Remove the skin from pumpkin with your hands.Cut the pumpkin into chunks and add it to the liquidiser or food processor.Pulse again for two minutes, adding enough hot water to make the soup a consistency that suites you.
5. Decant the soup into a saucepan, I put half into containers to freeze.Heat the soup gently and season to taste.
6. Serve with pumpernickel bread.